North of Scotland 40 years old 1973 Single Grain Single Cask Natural Cask Strength Directors’ Cut
The Forth Brewery occupied the site of the North of Scotland Distillery at Cambus near Alloa from the 1860s until closure in 1955. In 1957 the brewery buildings, which formed the northern boundary of the long established Cambus Distillery, were purchased by George Christie and the North of Scotland Distilling Company Ltd. and converted into Strathmore Distillery by the following year. Initially named Strathmore, the new distillery produced malt whisky using two pot stills and a Coffey still rather than only pot stills. However, that proved to be financially unsuccessful and it switched to grain whisky production using three continuous stills in 1960. In 1964 the distillery was renamed the North of Scotland Distillery. A downturn in demand caused the distillery to close in 1980 and it was demolished in 1993. North of Scotland Distillery is now a lost Scottish Lowland grain distillery.
Tasting Notes: Nose: Opens with butterscotch and warming spices (cinnamont) on the nose then runs to a toasted coconut style. Palate: Deliciously sweet – caramel on rich vanilla ice cream and runs to sweet mocha. Finish: Very more-ish – still sweet and carries a late tobacco quality.