Teaninich Distillery was built by Captain Hugh Monro on the lands of his Teaninich Castle near Alness on the northern shore of the Cromarty Firth in the Highland whisky region. It was established in 1817 with two stills in order to profit from distilling malt whisky from barley grown on the estate The stills were increased to four in the 1890s as demand for Teaninich malt whisky soared. A new Teaninich still house was constructed in 1970 to shelter an additional six stills. The new six and the old four, the A and the B, worked simultaneously until 1984 at which time the old B was closed and subsequently demolished in 1999. All that remains of the original Teaninich Distillery buildings is the receiver house which is now a listed building. Construction of a new still house complete with six additional stills began in 2014.