Glenury Royal Distillery was established to the north of Stonehaven in 1825. Only three distilleries in Scotland have been permitted to use 'Royal' in their title and it was granted to Glenury in 1835 by King William 1V. Glenury Royal was a malt whiskey distillery which operated from 1825 with just two stills until they were increased to four in 1965. The distillery closed in 1985 and was demolished in 1993 but the square support base of the round brick chimney remains with a plaque attached. The site is now a private housing estate on the edge of Stonehaven. Glenury Royal Distillery is a lost Scottish Highland malt whiskey distillery.